Monday 8 November 2010

Crystal Reports never stops to amaze…

Like many others, I’m waiting for the final release of Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010. CR is a quirky, nonintuitive, often buggy reporting system. It is also quite powerful, (so much more than Reporting Services, especially the Reportviewer/RDCL flavour) and it comes for free with VS, so it’s an inevitable choice for many projects. This time it has not been included from the start with the newest release of Visual Studio, for one reason or the other. I hope it’s because it wasn’t ready and not because it’s the first step in phasing it out, the installed base it’s just too big.

Anyway: I sometimes check SAP (CR owner du jour) webpage on CR4VS2010. I reckon that CR has been ‘voted best .NET reporting tool 14 years running’. Amazing: it is still, like Visual Studio, 2010. And .NET was introduced in, 2001, am I right? Well, that can’t be, since SAP it’s saying otherwise. My old copy of Visual Basic 4 must be .NET compatible, then, ypeee, ypeee,ay,yeah…

No comments:

Post a Comment