Friday 29 July 2005

Half-homemade wi-fi antenna with built-in extension...

I'm currently in München  for a few weeks. Among others, I enjoy my lodger's Wi-Fi Internet connection. I live in a dépendance and the signal strength is always low, weather-dependant (that pesky, ever changing german weather), and subject to interference from other WLANs in the neighbouhood (those pesky, überrich Germans). I have to think of something if I want to waste time on the net even in Germany. The simplest thing would be putting the PC on the window...



Mmmm, nee, nee. Perhaps the lodger won't be too happy. At the local Saturn I've found a very handy coaxial extension for Wi-Fi antennas, for only 19.99 € (those pesky, ultracheap German prices). It's a D-Link product, whose packaging is this:




The only problem: while the card-side connector fits perfectly, the antenna side screwable connector doesn't fit my detachable antenna, and no other Wi-Fi antenna I've seen. So what do you do ? You cut the connector, split the cable in order to expose the inner copper core, for a length which must be the same as the normal Wi-Fi antenna. You get a perfectly working, even if quite fragile, wi-fi extension with a built in antenna. Of course one can build himself the whole cable without buying the D-Link extension, with the right connector and coaxial cable, and make a more solid antenna, but I'm here with only a screwdriver, a cutter, and little time. For now, this hack workssss....

No comments:

Post a Comment